[CentOS-devel] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Tue Dec 8 19:19:03 UTC 2020
Ljubomir Ljubojevic <centos at plnet.rs>

On 12/8/20 7:20 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:

> On 12/8/20 10:15 AM, Dan Seguin wrote:
>> Yeah, the "free" help just grinded to a halt.
>>
>> Rich, you being the messenger, send it upwards to (IBM)?
>>
>> Your missive is going to make a lot of people go elsewhere.
>

> FWIW. IBM has not been part of this conversation. Red Hat is an
> independent entity. (Yes, I'm sure that resulted in eyerolls, but it
> also happens to be true.)
>
> And, yes, not only is feedback here being relayed to management at Red
> Hat, most of them are also here reading it the same time that I am.

Good.

In 2006 I chose to learn and run only rpm distributons. First 2 years I
ran ClarkConnect (now ClearOS) and then I switched both server and
desktop/laptop OS to CentOS (around 5.3). I have been active in CentOS
community, recompiled ~70 desktop packages from Fedora to CentOS and I
am main admin for official CentOS Facebook group since 2011. It can be
said that my efforts in posting not only official articles but howto's
and resources, and answering newbies expanded FB group from ~300 to
26.800 members.

I was  practically single member of Serbian Linux community that offered
help for CentOS/RHEL for years.
My main reason for using only CentOS was because it was predictably
stable + my commitment for rpm's. I use my laptop for earning money, and

I suffered through many driver issues and lack of some "Desktop"
packages/apps just so I can avoid Fedora because I did not want to
experiment with my OS, just work on it without any fear it will stop
working. Some bugs would creep up, but it would be quickly fixed. I
think I reported several dozens of issues over the years, some in CentOS
bug tracking system and others directly to Red Hat. I considered it my
humble contribution to free but stable OS.

When CentOS team started working for Red Hat, I was supportive and
"fought" many "duels" with people who thought it was treason. I
explained that this does not have to change anything. I was also
supportive when Stream was announced. It now looks like I was the fool
who believed all the sweet words of "honorable intentions".

Only way I am going to stay in CentOS/RHEL/rpm ecosystem is we users are
provided with system/mechanism to use only those packages that are
released in CURRENT version of RHEL, 8.5, 8.6,... , WITHOUT all the beta
 versions of packages. It can be something similar like CR repo where
those who want it can install/update all the new packages, but those who
do not can update only packages changed in current RHEL version.

Other option is using RHEL clone that Gregory Kurtzer plans on starting
: https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/#comment-183642

But other then that, I will be too uneasy to use CentOS Stream for
anything, better to join vast majority of my colleagues and switch to
Debian Stable for every single Linux I ever installed...