[CentOS-devel] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Tue Dec 8 19:55:35 UTC 2020
Julien Pivotto <roidelapluie at inuits.eu>

Hello Rich,

Thanks for the CentOS team for all the work that has been done in the
past years, the dojo's, and the SIGs. It's an amazing journey and there
are many people who deserve a big applause to what CentOS was to this
day.

CentOS/RHEL is (was) my first choice when advising a distribution to
customers, but one-year notice is not a lot, and that is a game changer
in the trust I have in Red Hat. In the future, I guess I will be a lot
more careful about this.

This change has a big impact, and it is hard to understand why suddently
CentOS 8, which we were expecting to last as long as RHEL 8, is now cut
to 5 years.

CentOS 6 is gone after 9 years. CentOS 7 is already 6. CentOS 8 is 2
years, which is the time customers generally wait to update their fleet.
I guess a significant amount of users have switched to 8 recently, and
now they know they have one year to migrate.

CentOS stream is nice, great. There is a usecase for it. Sysadmins
workstations, vendors, CI tools, can benefit from it.

In the last 7 years, I have been very disappointed to see the distance
between RHEL and CentOS. The CentOS team battling to find the correct
build order, to redo all the Red Hat pipelines in the open, without
getting to speak to the RHEL team, all of this was causing a lot of
unnecessary slowness and frustration, both in the community and with
some team members I was able to talk to.

In its current form, maintaining CentOS linux looked like a waste of
time, given that the tooling needed to be re-done from scratch each
time.

However, I did not see stream as the future of CentOS Linux. What I was
looking for is RHEL to become the new CentOS. That the Red Hat pipelines
would be more open and be able to directly produce a CentOS version. I
guess we won't see that happen.

For the rest, whatever is said, as long as Red Hat is not willing to
drop RHEL, it means that there is a reason for RHEL to exist. Therefore
I think there is a reason for CentOS Linux to exist.

( Regarding security, I remember the time when we got heartbleed, CentOS
  did release a workaround before upstream:
  https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2014-April/020248.html
  I feel like this was the good thing to do, and that in the current
  course, it is guaranteed not to happen anymore. Note that it was to the
  best of my knowledge the only time this happened. )

Thanks,