[CentOS-devel] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Wed Dec 9 15:32:56 UTC 2020
Phil Perry <pperry at elrepo.org>

On 09/12/2020 15:25, Brendan Conoboy wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 7:16 AM Phil Perry <pperry at elrepo.org
> <mailto:pperry at elrepo.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 09/12/2020 15:08, Brendan Conoboy wrote:
>      > On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 6:59 AM Ljubomir Ljubojevic
>     <centos at plnet.rs <mailto:centos at plnet.rs>
>      > <mailto:centos at plnet.rs <mailto:centos at plnet.rs>>> wrote:
>      >
>      >     So when you remove binary compatibility, why would anyone
>     bother with
>      >     CentOS/RHEL unless they want a job in a company that pays for
>     RHEL
>      >     support?
>      >
>      > What sort of binaries are you concerned about being incompatible?
>
>     Any kernel device drivers, for a start. Kind of critical if your
>     SAS/RAID device wont boot, or your network device doesn't come up, or
>     your GUI doesn't start because your display drivers aren't compatible
>     anymore. Just minor things like that maybe?
>

> OK, so out-of-tree drivers.  If those keep on working does that make
> CentOS Stream viable for your use?

I don't use CentOS Stream, I use RHEL. I use RHEL to develop software
for RHEL and compatible OS clones, including CentOS. If Stream retains
binary compatibility, and specifically kernel ABI compatibility, then
the users of the software packages we develop can continue to use them.
If not, they can't. Simple as that. So please don't push rolling kernel
updates to Stream that break the kernel ABI.