[CentOS-devel] Before You Get Mad About The CentOS Stream Change, Think About…

Thu Dec 17 09:01:23 UTC 2020
Ljubomir Ljubojevic <centos at plnet.rs>

On 12/17/20 9:13 AM, Peter Eckel wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> On 17. Dec 2020, at 09:03, Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch> wrote:
>>
>> I know that Red Hat was and is free to decide what they want. But I can
>> assure you that the only reason why quite a number RHEL subscriptions have
>> been sold to the companies where I have worked in the past is that there
>> was a project called CentOS!
>
> if that is really the case (I think it could well be), the business decision of RedHat maybe makes perfect sense.
>
> Some other distribution will step in for CentOS Linux. Rocky, Lenix, Springsdale, whatever. That distribution/s will take the role of CentOS in paving the path for RHEL without RedHat having to paying for it.
>
> Sounds like a win/win-Situation, doesn't it?

No, it does not. Because so far Red hat was viewed as champion of Open
Source and we "freeloaders" felt morally obligated to help Red Hat in
any way we could. It was the right and honest thing to do.

Since Red Hat displayed greedy and stab-in-the-back attitude (buy hiding
what wanted to do before they were ready), there is absolutely no moral
obligation to help them in any way, and many now even have negative
feelings towards another "greedy company".

Before this my message was "If you are going to spend the money on
Linux, it is best to spend it on RHEL, they give so much to community it
is only fair."

Since few days ago my message is "I do not like them anymore, and I do
not have trust in them, so better stay clear from them."

CentOS project leaders had the same philosophy in mind when they refused
to add extra packages to CentOS repositories like non-free codecs, 3rd
party drivers (ElRepo had to be created separately) or even some desktop
apps or KDE, MATE, etc. All of that was redirected to Red Hat controlled
EPEL or 3rd party repositories.

But Rocky Linux and Lenix (CloudLinux) do not have to be constrained
with these compliance, why should they when most likely Red Hat will do
their best to complicate creation of other clones any way they can. You
can say what ever you want, but I and others do not trust them/you to be
better then their worst deed.

And there is no legal obligation to use RHEL and not clones in
production, especially if CloudLinux develops a business model that will
enhance FOSS clone and eventually spin off from RHEL into competitor
just like Oracle did. Even Rocky Linux could be backed by some new
company that will offer paid-for support in production.

Up until this backstabbing act any company that would try to steal
support income from Red Hat would have been declared greedy by CentOS
and even Linux community at large. Even today I do not like Oracle
because they became direct competitor to Red Hat who was spending money
on development, bugfixes, etc.

But since Red Hat is now in same category as Oracle, greedy corporation,
EL/Linux community will WELCOME another player in paid-support for RHEL
clones, and stand by them as long as their actions support needs of "us
freeloaders". Do you really think CloudLinux decided to spend $1 million
because they are altruists? I do not. They have seen Red Hat hang them
selves (nobody provoked them) and saw unique one-in-a-lifetime
opportunity to expand their portfolio from only light hosting clone
based on RHEL source to all-purpose distro that will help them expand
their paid-for support offer to baremetal servers and workstations,
maybe even laptops. All they have to do is to publish binary clone and
then expand on that ecosystem by adding repos like ElRepo, EPEL,
CentOSPlus, and maybe non-free repo and they will be huge success and
make bundle of money, well worth the investment they are making.

And you know what? I am going to support them, and bee happy for them.
And direct any money spending THEIR WAY.

--
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)