[CentOS-devel] Balancing the needs around the CentOS platform

Mon Dec 21 06:22:58 UTC 2020
Mark Mielke <mark.mielke at gmail.com>

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 1:19 AM Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/20/20 10:06 PM, Mark Mielke wrote:
> > So, if you are trying to convince me that sometimes Red Hat and CentOS
> > didn't do the right thing ... fine, I'm sure that happens.
> I'm not saying that, at all.  I just don't think that using the current
> ESR before the last one is EOL is the wrong thing to do. To the best of
> my knowledge, Mozilla supports users making that switch whenever they
> have completed testing.  The automatic upgrade doesn't happen when the
> last release is EOL because that's the "right thing", it's just because
> that's the deadline.  That's when users no longer have a choice (other
> than to continue running unsupported software).

We are not on the same wavelength here. I don't know who your users
are, but they are not the same as mine.

I think any "Enterprise Linux" distribution should not automatically
make a Firefox ESR version the default version, before Mozilla has
made it the default version. If Mozilla has not made it an automatic
update, then RHEL should not, and CentOS should not.

But, do whatever you want. As long as your employer is happy with your
assessment of risk, it's not my problem.

--
Mark Mielke <mark.mielke at gmail.com>