[CentOS-devel] Before You Get Mad About The CentOS Stream Change, Think About…

Wed Dec 23 06:36:03 UTC 2020
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 12:47 AM Strahil Nikolov via CentOS-devel
<centos-devel at centos.org> wrote:

> > I'll have to think about this. I may have to publish some reposync
> > based "snapshotting" backup tools to produce labeled, datestamped
> > "8-stream.2020-12-01" style repos.
>
> Erm... isn't this called repomanagement. Both Suse Manager(Uyuni is the
> upstream) and RH Sattelite do great job on that.
>
> Best Regards,
> Strahil Nikolov

The last I looked at it, RHN Satellite was very expensive and demanded
manual tuning of the content for each host, and did not provide a set
of reference repos for local browsing and repo comparison. I've found
structures similar to vault.centos.org to be more predictable and
safer to manage, much as the CentOS point releases have been useful
and much as git tags associated with specific, defined states of the
repo are useful. It's why I say they're taags" and find the model
mentioned here that "it's all one branch" to not match reality until
this public decision to discard point releases.

The older among us saw this play out with Red Hat 9: I think Red Hat
was understandably frustrated with people demanding ongoing support
for Red Hat 7.0 distinct from hat for Red Hat 7.3 and other, similar
oint releases. The policy of "there shall be only one stream" Was
reversed with the RHEL 2.1, the next official release from Red Hat

 I suspect this is going to be short lived and be reversed with the
next major release update.