[CentOS-devel] Balancing the needs around the RHEL platform

Wed Dec 23 20:23:29 UTC 2020
Phil Perry <pperry at elrepo.org>

On 23/12/2020 18:32, Gordon Messmer wrote:

> At this point, I think you should be more clear than you are being.
> CentOS Stream will be getting features intended for RHEL, earlier than
> RHEL.  This creates a temporary forward compatibility gap.  RHEL might
> not run software that was compiled on CentOS Stream, until those new
> features actually appear in a later RHEL release.  This same
> compatibility gap exists between point releases of RHEL.  If you build
> an application on RHEL 7.8, for example, it might not run on RHEL 7.7.
>
> On the other hand, CentOS Stream will be backward compatible with RHEL.
> Anything that runs on RHEL should continue running on CentOS Stream.

This is simply not true. Please stop perpetuating this. I have already
provided evidence that the current Stream kernel is already not
compatible with RHEL and that software that runs on RHEL will not run on
Stream. I have 12 examples of things that run on RHEL that do not run on
Stream sat in front of me right now. I will probably have more once I
test the new -259 kernel that's just been released.

Take Wireguard VPN as an example. No sooner than upstream fixed the
breakage caused by -257 on Monday, -259 landed and broke it again[2].

[1] https://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/wireguard/2020-December/006210.html
[2] https://www.wireguard.com/build-status/