[CentOS-devel] CentOS website redesign ideas

Alain Reguera Delgado

alain.reguera at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 14:56:53 UTC 2020

Hi,

The CentOS website redesign effort is going on and there is already
some code to evaluate at:

https://github.com/areguera/centos-jekyll-sites/tree/staging

The redesign uses jekyll static site generator, Montserrat typography
and the artistic motif we used in CentOS distributions, to highlight
the visual connection among these elements. The navigation header and
footer changed to use a dark blue background consistent with CentOS
artistic motif. On header the logo and link elements were moved from
left to center with respective spaces so the left side of the logo and
the left side of the content look aligned on left. On footer, links to
CentOS About and CentOS Community were displayed along The CentOS
Project description.

The content is based on what we have now in www.centos.org. I tried to
replicate it but there are content still missing (on purpose to see how
the "404 Not found page" looks like ;). The written information may
need some consistency. For example on page titles, sometimes we write
"The CentOS ...", others just "CentOS ...", and others no "CentOS" word
at all.

The download links are missing on purpose so to bring debate about the
way to go here. In the proposed code, we use two cards, one for CentOS
Linux and other for CentOS Stream. Each card has tabs inside to
organize download information about major releases of each
distribution. This organization uses a table to relate architectures,
packages, release notes, documentation and end-of-life. These cards are
reused both in the home page and the download page, so we only need to
change them in a single place (e.g.,
https://github.com/areguera/centos-jekyll-sites/blob/staging/_includes/centos-download-cards.html
).

What's your impressions so far? You are welcome to share your comments,
suggestions, and code/design contributions.

Thanks,
--
Alain Reguera Delgado <alain.reguera at gmail.com>