[CentOS-devel] Packages dropping out of modules

Alexander Bokovoy

abokovoy at redhat.com
Fri Feb 14 14:28:30 UTC 2020

On pe, 14 helmi 2020, Paul Clifford wrote:
>Earlier this month this was a report that softhsm was available but
>not installable in CentOS 8 due to a "No available modular metadata
>for modular package" error.  The solution was to enable the idm:DL1
>module, but my understanding is that modular packages shouldn't be
>visible while their modules are disabled (this seems to be the
>behaviour in RHEL 8).
>
>Looking in
>http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/AppStream/x86_64/os/Packages/ there
>are two versions of softhsm in the AppStream repository:
>* softhsm-2.4.0-2.module_el8.1.0+253+3b90c921.x86_64.rpm
>* softhsm-2.4.0-2.module_el8.1.0+265+e1e65be4.x86_64.rpm
>
>The repository's modules.yaml file only describes one version of the
>module, idm:DL1:8010020200121181805:4a0acb9a:x86_64, which owns the
>newer package.  When idm:DL1 is enabled this masks the older softhsm
>version but when it's disabled (the default) the newer package is
>removed from view, and with no repository metadata to indicate that
>the older softhsm is part of a module it effectively becomes an
>ordinary member of the AppStream repository.

I think both of these builds belong to idm:DL1, just to two different
module builds. There are other packages from idm:DL1 module stream that
are duplicated.

Module build 253: https://koji.mbox.centos.org/koji/builds?tagID=488
Module build 265: https://koji.mbox.centos.org/koji/builds?tagID=513

>So "dnf install softhsm" offers two different package versions based
>on whether or not idm:DL1 is enabled, instead of failing with "Error:
>Unable to find a match" when the module is disabled.

I agree that dnf should not show any of them if they both belong to
disabled module stream.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
Sr. Principal Software Engineer