[CentOS-devel] CPE Weekly: 2020-02-14

Aoife Moloney

amoloney at redhat.com
Fri Feb 14 17:58:31 UTC 2020

# CPE Weekly: 2020-02-14

Background:
The Community Platform Engineering group is the Red Hat team combining
IT and release engineering from Fedora and CentOS. Our goal is to keep
core servers and services running and maintained, build releases, and
other strategic tasks that need more dedicated time than volunteers
can give.
For better communication, we will be giving weekly reports to the
CentOS and Fedora communities about the general tasks and work being
done.  Also for better communication between our groups we have
created #redhat-cpe on Freenode IRC! Please feel free to catch us
there, a mail has landed on both the CentOS and Fedora devel lists
with context here.

## CentOS Updates
### CentOS
* Tuning/adding more mirrorlist servers due to EC2/AWS change from last week
    * Updates are really faster now for CentOS users in AWS/EC2 (more
than 100TiB of updated packages served internally with a 98.33% ratio
served from cache, so faster than ever)
* Moving data from CentOs Infra and switching to a new solution for
backup for infra:
    * https://github.com/CentOS/ansible-role-centos-backup/
    * https://github.com/CentOS/ansible-role-restic
    * VDO (https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/storage_administration_guide/vdo)
* Investigating how to incorporate CentOS auth into the new AAA solution
    * We'll need proper communication plan to ask everybody to get a
FAS account when we'll migrate

### CentOS Stream
* The CPE team are collaborating with the Packit team internally to
develop a workflow for contributor patches
* We are working towards demoing a contributor patch from submission
to end for Red Hat Summit in April!
## Fedora Updates

### Data Centre Move
By June 15th 2020, dedicated Fedora servers will have moved to a new
data centre in Northern Virginia.
If you want to read more, check out our post on hackmd:
https://hackmd.io/@Ap8CkTlpSfmjb44UGV-kWA/rJsk7A-QL

Here are some key dates and actions we need you to know:
* On 28th Feb, the old OpenStack instance in Fedora Cloud will be retired.
* Please reach out to Kevin before 25th Feb if you need to take action
for your instance if you are an instance owner. Here is the link to
the current status: https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/issue/8614
* On 13th April, the CPE team will begin to ship servers to our new
data centre - this does not affect F32 distribution or release
* From March 1st, the CPE team will begin to build the Minimum Viable
Fedora infrastructure in the new datacenter
* Between May 20th - July 1st, we will be redirecting Fedora services
to run on the 'MVF' offering to facilitate the final part of the move
and allow for re-racking and testing
* By July 1st we hope to have BAU (business as usual) for Fedora infra

### AAA Replacement
This project is replacing our old existing fas (fedora account system)
with a new freeipa based system.
* Check out our blog on the teams progress to date!
* You can also see our jira board for tickets we are working on
* And we have an IRC channel - #fedora-AAA
* We are currently working on the FreeIPA API integration and the
folks at FreeIPA have been really helpful so far to work with

### CI/CD
* The team have been trying to get a local instance of Koji running this week
* They are investigating different algorithms that could help generate
the next release if a package based on its git history.
* Monitoring-gating is being deployed in OpenShift in staging

### Sustaining Team
* The team meets daily @ 1900 UTC in #fedora-admin on IRC
* The priority work is:
** Fedora 32
** Assisting with technical debt to facilitate the colo move
** mbbox upgrading
** CentOS CI OpenShift upgrading
* The team also have a public thread on knowledge sharing,
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/infrastructure@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/PY7H2N57NXU6MKZFNLYMKOL7N3NO6OBB/
so take a look!

## Docs
* Merged https://pagure.io/fedora-docs/quick-docs/pull-request/175
* Merged https://pagure.io/fedora-docs/quick-docs/pull-request/174
* Merged https://pagure.io/fedora-docs/quick-docs/pull-request/173
* Merged https://pagure.io/fedora-docs/quick-docs/pull-request/167
* Reviewed https://pagure.io/fedora-docs/install-guide/pull-request/40
* Also work underway on CentOS 8.1 docs

### Misc Updates
* The team are also working on creating Fedora infra application map -
stay tuned for the publication soon!
* keys.fedoraproject.org has been turned off
* boot.fedoraproject.org will be retired this week
* Certs have been changed to letsencrypt for fedorahosted/fedoracommunity
* Moved Koji calls to a backend task worker in Bodhi:
https://github.com/fedora-infra/bodhi/issues/3061
* kdreyer's playbook repo has been integrated:
https://pagure.io/koji-vagrant/pull-request/1
* Testing dist-git repo as a submodule has been added:
https://pagure.io/koji-vagrant/pull-request/2
* Ticket in Monitor-Gating has been reviewed:
https://pagure.io/fedora-ci/monitor-gating/pull-request/8

As always, feedback is welcome, and we will continue to look at ways
to improve the delivery and readability of this weekly report.

Have a great weekend!

Aoife

--
Aoife Moloney