[CentOS-devel] A Big Idea for a New Decade [was: Minutes for CentOS Board of Directors 2019-12-18 Meeting]

Kaleb Keithley

kkeithle at redhat.com
Tue Jan 7 20:12:25 UTC 2020

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 1:01 PM Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 07, 2020 at 12:39:40PM -0500, Kaleb Keithley wrote:
> > > would make sense. And we could even make additional shared branches
> > > where necessary, using modularity to make optional streams which could
> > > be used in CentOS SIGs, EPEL, or a Fedora OS.
> >
> > Sounds great.
> >
> > But I hope we don't have to wait for all that to happen before we get C8
> > buildroots in CBS for the SIGs to build packages.
>
> Is it possible for SIGs to build those packages in EPEL directly or Copr
> (via the EPEL 8 target) in the meantime?

It is possible. I can (and do) build --scratch packages in koji. I can't do
real builds in EPEL because there are downstream packages in RHEL.

But whether I build them there or in Copr it's still not the same as having
them in the CentOS $sig repos and have them be installable using the
$package-repo RPM from Extras.  It's about convenience for the end users,
one stop shopping, the appearance of legitimacy and the cachet of being a
part of CentOS, etc.

Which was the point of putting our packages in the (Storage) SIG in the
first place.

Asking us to build them in EPEL or Copr is a step backwards.

--

Kaleb