[CentOS-devel] A Big Idea for a New Decade [was: Minutes for CentOS Board of Directors 2019-12-18 Meeting]

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Wed Jan 8 15:43:37 UTC 2020

On 1/7/20 3:34 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 1/7/20 12:08 PM, Jim Perrin wrote:
>> On 1/7/20 4:09 AM, Neal Gompa wrote:
>>
>>> 1. CentOS Koji is pretty closed to a couple of folks in CentOS and Red
>>> Hat.
>> There were a variety of reasons this was done initially.
>> That's because until Stream existed, there wasn't really much of a way
>> to give back that didn't make the project deviate from its core mission.
>> We have absolutely taken contributions from the community in the past,
>> but most of the fixes offered were to fix bugs we didn't "own".
>

> I don't think it's *entirely* fair to say that the fixes offered weren't
> relevant to CentOS, when no one outside the core maintainers had access
> to the build process, where fixes relevant to CentOS could be offered.

That is because CentOS Linux (other than Stream) is a rebuild of RHEL
source code .. so, that is how things get into base CentOS Linux.  We
don't accept input that deviates base CentOS Linux from RHEL source
code.  So, the way to get things into CentOS Linux is to get it into
RHEL Source Code.  The CentOS team does not control that process.

Now that CentOS Stream is being done .. that will be the process to get
things into RHEL Source Code from a CentOS Linux perspective.