[CentOS-devel] A Big Idea for a New Decade [was: Minutes for CentOS Board of Directors 2019-12-18 Meeting]

Matthew Miller

mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Jan 9 15:55:09 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jan 08, 2020 at 06:35:13AM -0500, Kaleb Keithley wrote:
> How is that different than just building them in EPEL and being done with
> it.
>
> Has something changed in the EPEL rules that would now allow us to ship
> packages that conflict with the packages in base RHEL or a RHEL product
> like RHGS (GlusterFS) or RHCS (Ceph)?

Yes -- this should be possible with modularity. You'd ship the conflicting
packages as an alternate stream. No default streams allowed, but people could
opt in. And presumably there could exist media where that stream is enabled
by default.

> It also doesn't solve being able to ship multiple versions in separate
> repos, e.g. gluster-5, gluster-6, and gluster-7. (I want to call those
> Streams, but I think Streams is used for something different.)

Streams is right, actually. As opposed to "CentOS Stream", singular.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>