[CentOS-devel] A Big Idea for a New Decade [was: Minutes for CentOS Board of Directors 2019-12-18 Meeting]

Tue Jan 7 22:52:14 UTC 2020
Brendan Conoboy <blc at redhat.com>

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 12:08 PM Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org> wrote:
> On 1/7/20 4:09 AM, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > So, what this long email is actually saying is that I think it's an
> > interesting idea to bring the two projects together, but eliminating
> > aspects of Fedora in favor of CentOS is premature because CentOS has
> > not actually developed as a community project. Maybe it's worth
> > revisiting after six years of actual community development?
>
> I disagree a bit here. I think it's worth discussing, and I think it's
> worth being clear about what the expectations are both for Stream, and
> Fedora Server.
>
> I think we should have the conversation (possibly again) about what we
> want from Fedora Server. Is it serving the purpose originally
> envisioned. Should that continue to be the purpose for it, etc.
>
> Stream is what RH *intends* to be in future versions of RHEL, and I
> think that intent matters when it comes to people developing for oVirt,
> RDO, ansible or something else that would run on top of RHEL. I think
> that intent matters for feature development when CERN or FERMI have
> fixes or input for things they want to see, and contribute code to make
> it happen. It will still be RH that makes the decision to commit to
> accepting those fixes and agreeing to put them into future RHEL
> releases. This is what we're actively building out, and what Carl is
> working on.

Between Neal and Jim's excellent points and counterpoints I'd like to
relate a little extra RHEL information that may aid discussion.  When
we launched RHEL 8 we shared 2 goals for future release timings- One
got all the attention, the other almost none.  The focus was
predictable minor release updates every 6 months (So far so good on
that front).  The less noticed goal was to make a new major every ~3
years.  RHEL 9 will, if all goes well, will spend its pre-release
development at the intersection of Fedora Server and CentOS Stream.
The exact form this takes is yet to be determined, though we have some
ideas getting into shape to be shared.  This will be the first major
release since the advent of CentOS Stream.  It's a very good time to
talk about future goals for Fedora Server, goals for CentOS SIGs and
community members all.  My simple observation and suggestion is this:
CentOS Stream creates opportunities for us to work together in
unprecedented ways, so let's explore some ideas, dare to dream, *then*
work on plans to make them practical.

--
Brendan Conoboy / RHEL Development Coordinator / Red Hat, Inc.