[CentOS-devel] A Big Idea for a New Decade [was: Minutes for CentOS Board of Directors 2019-12-18 Meeting]

Wed Jan 8 22:25:08 UTC 2020
Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com>

On 1/8/20 7:43 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> I don't think it's*entirely*  fair to say that the fixes offered weren't
>> relevant to CentOS, when no one outside the core maintainers had access
>> to the build process, where fixes relevant to CentOS could be offered.
> That is because CentOS Linux (other than Stream) is a rebuild of RHEL
> source code .. so, that is how things get into base CentOS Linux.

Yes, I know.

> We don't accept input that deviates base CentOS Linux from RHEL source code.

Of course not.  But that's not the point.  Neal pointed out that the
process of debranding and rebuilding CentOS is not a community process,
and that the user community takes and does not give back much.  That is
true.  I agree with him.

I don't, however, know a good reason to believe that the community
doesn't want to contribute, or isn't capable of contributing.  I have
seen people offer to contribute numerous times, especially when new
major or minor releases lag far behind upstream.  I tend to think those
lags are evidence that the project does need more contributors, but I
simply don't know any way for capable people to access the work queue
and assist in getting it done.

When I look at https://wiki.centos.org/Contribute , I don't see any
entry points for capable people to participate early in the process.  I
see a note that testing packages are announced on the devel list, but
that's pretty far along in the process.  It's hard to imagine that
participating at that point will significantly improve the turnaround
time for the process of rebuilding and publishing the system.

I could be wrong, since I see the situation from the perspective of the
user community that I'm a part of, but my point is that Jim said "there
wasn't really much of a way to give back that didn't make the project
deviate from its core mission" and that is literally true.  I'm not
arguing otherwise.  I just want to suggest that the fact that there
wasn't a way to give back without deviating from the core mission is the
result of decisions that the developers made to keep the process very
closed and private, and we should acknowledge that when we're discussing
community contributions.