[CentOS-devel] CentOS 8 on AWS

Leon Fauster

leonfauster at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 11 13:30:26 UTC 2020

Am 10.06.20 um 22:49 schrieb Fabian Arrotin:
> On 10/06/2020 17:08, Leon Fauster via CentOS-devel wrote:
>> Am 26.05.20 um 13:01 schrieb Karanbir Singh:
>>> On 25/05/2020 14:48, Greg Bailey wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>> Is it possible to use (upload) this images to create instances in AWS?
>>
>> https://cloud.centos.org/centos/8/x86_64/images/
>>
>> I known that the CentOS team is hard working on 8.2.2004 but any
>> progress in getting C8 to AWS Market Place? Are the plans to having
>> the Official Public Images published with the release of 8.2.2004?
>>

> Not with the currently pushed ones,  but we fixed the kickstart files
> used to generate the EC2 cloud images so the ones that will be generated
> for 8.2.2004 so the new ones should work for this.

Ah okay, thanks. I assume that you mean this one (CentOS-8-EC2.ks):

https://git.centos.org/centos/kickstarts/tree/master

Can I use this ks file to compose an new image with lorax?
Or are some other tools missing / unseen by me to build a working image?

I would like to start right away booting some instances for testing
proposes.

BTW, in the meanwhile I was already elaborating the workflow of
importing images into my aws account. thereby i noticed that
ec2 import-snapshot does not support the qcow2 disk format.
The next supported format would be "raw" ... still elaborating
the workflow ...

> While we still don't have clear path/access to publish to AWS Market
> Place, we can try to have shared AMIs (public) and public ID per region
> ... that should at least help help deploying from our centos official
> images, instead of random images that pretend to be centos on marketplace

This sounds reasonable.

> Hopefully we'll be able to announce that as soon as we'll have all that
> built and tested (and should be really soon  now)

Thank you for your work.

--
Leon