[CentOS-devel] CentOS 8 on AWS

Wed Jun 10 21:58:57 UTC 2020
Greg Bailey <gbailey at lxpro.com>

On 6/10/20 1:49 PM, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> On 10/06/2020 17:08, Leon Fauster via CentOS-devel wrote:
>> Am 26.05.20 um 13:01 schrieb Karanbir Singh:
>>> On 25/05/2020 14:48, Greg Bailey wrote:
> <snip>
>> Is it possible to use (upload) this images to create instances in AWS?
>>
>> https://cloud.centos.org/centos/8/x86_64/images/
>>
>> I known that the CentOS team is hard working on 8.2.2004 but any
>> progress in getting C8 to AWS Market Place? Are the plans to having
>> the Official Public Images published with the release of 8.2.2004?
>>
> Not with the currently pushed ones,  but we fixed the kickstart files
> used to generate the EC2 cloud images so the ones that will be generated
> for 8.2.2004 so the new ones should work for this.

Where's the fix captured?  I checked
https://github.com/CentOS/sig-cloud-instance-build but I don't see any
commits since December.  Maybe I'm looking in the wrong repo?

> While we still don't have clear path/access to publish to AWS Market
> Place, we can try to have shared AMIs (public) and public ID per region

This would be great; consuming known public AMIs is easier than having
to subscribe every account to the marketplace.  IMHO the marketplace
feels like it's really better suited for proprietary software--I don't
like the idea of having to "register" every account that I might want to
run CentOS VMs on.

> ... that should at least help help deploying from our centos official
> images, instead of random images that pretend to be centos on marketplace
>
> Hopefully we'll be able to announce that as soon as we'll have all that
> built and tested (and should be really soon  now)

Awesome; thanks!

-Greg