[CentOS-devel] CentOS logo and brand update on the next board meeting agenda

john tatt

zikamev at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 28 13:18:14 UTC 2020

Hi everyone

I totally agree with Johnny. We might add a new logo monochrome for certain purposes, but also keep the one we have.

    Le Thu Mar 26 2020 16:32:37 GMT+0100 (CET), Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> a écrit :

 On 3/20/20 2:46 PM, Karsten Wade wrote:
> [...]
> what goes into the final design, and who says that design should be the
> new logo. Or even if there should be a new logo at all!
>
> The unclear part is largely because the CentOS Board hasn't communicated
> our intentions clearly, I'm sorry about that, and I'd like to fix that here.
>
> The process the CentOS Board wants should look like the one below. We're
> asking the three designers who have done the work so far (areguera,
> brokenkeyframe, tigert) to lead this discussion. I am the Director
> responsible for supporting that discussion and helping it get to a
> conclusion.
>
> The goal is to have a design that the community likes, understands, and
> accepts, which the Board of Directors can basically rubber-stamp, i.e.,
> approve without further discussion/argument. (Expect some Directors to
> provide input as community members, that is how we get our voices heard
> in the design decision process.)
>
> = Open design decision process
>
> 0. I have taken the logo off the Board agenda for the next meeting, and
> won't put it back on until after this community has concluded its process.
>
> 1. For the next $time_period (perhaps until 08 April?) is the
> second-to-last window for input on the design, and suggestions for any
> new designs are also considered.
>
> 2. For two (or three?) weeks after that ~08 April date, the current and
> new designs undergo iterations between the designers. This includes the
> designers involved so far plus anyone else who comes along willing to do
> the work.
>
> 3. During those design iteration weeks, the process includes a robust
> back-and-forth between the designers that the rest of the community can
> observe. Designers set their own tolerance for how much feedback they
> want during this time window. They may choose, for example, to do a
> daily survey of design iterations using a survey tool to help them track
> the sentiment without wading through comments.
>
> 4. At the end of the design iteration weeks, the designers send back to
> the community the design(s) they feel are worthy of further
> consideration or decision. These may be the final design suggestions,
> depending on how the collective designers feel.
>
> 5. For two weeks following, interested community members are involved in
> helping choose the final design. Or those are two weeks of feedback,
> followed by another design iteration window, depending on the consensus
> of the designers and the interested community. I recommend we only
> schedule up to two iterations, and welcome the insight of the waaaaay
> more experienced designers as to what they want.
>
> 6. The final decision is approved (rubber-stamped) by the Board; I
> conclude the trademark work in parallel.
>
> The above can be slowed down even further -- it might be too fast with
> the way things are right now in the world; there is no need to rush, we
> just don't want an open-ended process. It's better to set a deadline and

I think CentOS Linux and the CentOS Project has developed a brand ..
people know what it is, and I, for one, do not want it to change.

I am fine with approving a new, Single color Logo with a more standard
font as an additive brand, but I like the logo that we have had for the
last 17 years  ..  well, once we go rid of the pink text :).

I don't want to prevent all change .. but I do think legacy is also
important.