[CentOS-devel] CentOS logo and brand update on the next board meeting agenda

Karsten Wade

kwade at redhat.com
Tue Mar 31 16:56:59 UTC 2020

On 3/26/20 8:32 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> I think CentOS Linux and the CentOS Project has developed a brand ..
> people know what it is, and I, for one, do not want it to change.

Considering that the nature of the universe is change and that logos
change all the time, what are the conditions you figure are ripe for the
CentOS Project to change _this_ logo?

The designers articulated a number of reasons for the changes they propose.
> I am fine with approving a new, Single color Logo with a more standard
> font as an additive brand, but I like the logo that we have had for the
> last 17 years  ..   well, once we go rid of the pink text :).
>
> I don't want to prevent all change .. but I do think legacy is also
> important.

I'd like to check that everyone read the discussion between the
designers here, because this comment from Johnny and the responses from
John Tatt and John Dennison are confusing.

tl;dr
https://blog.centos.org/2020/01/updating-the-centos-logo-and-visual-style/

full discussion:
https://git.centos.org/centos/Artwork/issue/1

The monochrome logo is not additive, it is an evolution of the current
logo. The current proposal is not to have a different appearing logo in
monochrome than the one in color. They are different logos, resulting in
different branding, etc.

I don't see how having two different logos solves any problems, but I do
see how it creates a whole lot of new problems.

It is important that feedback here be more than "I don't like it, I
don't want change, what we have works fine".

We need to hear:

* What don't you like about the proposed logo in comparison to the
existing logo?

* Is there more about not wanting change than not wanting change?

* How do we solve the problems with the current logo with the status quo?

Best regards,

- Karsten

Karsten Wade [he/him/his]| Senior Community Architect | @quaid
Red Hat Open Source Program Office (OSPO) : @redhatopen