[CentOS-devel] CentOS logo and brand update on the next board meeting agenda

Stephen John Smoogen

smooge at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 17:49:00 UTC 2020

On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 at 12:57, Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 3/26/20 8:32 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> >
> > I think CentOS Linux and the CentOS Project has developed a brand ..
> > people know what it is, and I, for one, do not want it to change.
>
> Considering that the nature of the universe is change and that logos
> change all the time, what are the conditions you figure are ripe for the
> CentOS Project to change _this_ logo?

On the other hand, the nature of culture is to be resistant to change in
the hopes that what keeps people connected is a survival mechanism. Logo
and brand changes seem to always affect culture. It seems to trigger in
people subconscious queues that the world they are familiar is no longer
stable. Sometimes that is a good thing and sometimes it is a bad thing. In
any case it always gets some group of people upset.

So to answer your question, things are usually ripe for a logo change
1. when the people in the community have changed enough that the old
logo/brand no longer has a resonance.
2. when you want or have to stir up a culture change whether you or the
community wants it or not

There are always going to be things that are 'wrong' with any logo you make
or fix. In 3-5 years some color or proportions change will show up as being
off. The bigger question is what changes in the culture you want because
you have more control over what those changes are if you are open that this
will cause them. Otherwise what people always think is just a small logo
change ends up being a stick in a hornet's nest.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.