[CentOS-devel] CentOS logo and brand update on the next board meeting agenda

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Tue Mar 31 17:46:31 UTC 2020

On 3/31/20 11:56 AM, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On 3/26/20 8:32 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>
>> I think CentOS Linux and the CentOS Project has developed a brand ..
>> people know what it is, and I, for one, do not want it to change.
>
> Considering that the nature of the universe is change and that logos
> change all the time, what are the conditions you figure are ripe for the
> CentOS Project to change _this_ logo?
>
> The designers articulated a number of reasons for the changes they propose.
>> I am fine with approving a new, Single color Logo with a more standard
>> font as an additive brand, but I like the logo that we have had for the
>> last 17 years  ..   well, once we go rid of the pink text :).
>>
>> I don't want to prevent all change .. but I do think legacy is also
>> important.
>
> I'd like to check that everyone read the discussion between the
> designers here, because this comment from Johnny and the responses from
> John Tatt and John Dennison are confusing.
>
> tl;dr
> https://blog.centos.org/2020/01/updating-the-centos-logo-and-visual-style/
>
> full discussion:
> https://git.centos.org/centos/Artwork/issue/1
>
> The monochrome logo is not additive, it is an evolution of the current
> logo. The current proposal is not to have a different appearing logo in
> monochrome than the one in color. They are different logos, resulting in
> different branding, etc.
>
> I don't see how having two different logos solves any problems, but I do
> see how it creates a whole lot of new problems.
>
> It is important that feedback here be more than "I don't like it, I
> don't want change, what we have works fine".
>
> We need to hear:
>
> * What don't you like about the proposed logo in comparison to the
> existing logo?

It is not the logo that I helped design 17 years ago.

> * Is there more about not wanting change than not wanting change?

Yes .. we have a brand that is recognized the world over.  Double digit
percentages of all the servers on the internet and double digit
percentages of all the super computers in the world run CentOS Linux.

I don't think we need to confuse the brand.

You brought this to this list to discuss it and give our opinions. I
like the current, well known, what everyone on the street knows branding.

I think we lose a lot by changing that branding and I don't want to
change it.

That is my opinion .. I get to have my opinion.

If you want to change the logo, change the logo .. but you asked for
opinions.