[CentOS-devel] New KDE available for testing on CentOS Stream

Tue Mar 31 20:36:45 UTC 2020
Troy Dawson <tdawson at redhat.com>

CentOS Stream has recently been updated to include the updated
qt5-5.12.5 that will be part of RHEL 8.2.  The qt5-5.12.* releases are
the LTS version of qt5, we this very good news.

The problem is that the KDE packages in EPEL were built on qt5-5.11.*,
and many of them won't install on 5.12.

I have rebuilt KDE for RHEL 8.2 x86_64 and have it in my Fedora people area.
I have updated all the added qt5 packages to be 5.12.*, to match the
qt5-5.12 in RHEL 8.2.
I have also updated most of the plasma packages to 5.18.*.   This is
the corresponding plasma LTS release that goes with qt5-5.12.
I have also updated most of the kf5 packages to 5.67.* / 19.12 .
There is no LTS release for the kf5 packages, there were the latest at
the time I was rebuilding them.

In summary, this is a new shiny KDE Plasma Desktop.

It would be great if people could test it before RHEL 8.2 / CentOS 8.2
comes out.

How to try it out.

1 - Install CentOS-Stream
http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/8-stream/isos/x86_64/
2 - Install the config for my KDE on Stream repo
wget-O /etc/yum.repos.d/rhel8-beta-kde.repo
https://tdawson.fedorapeople.org/epel8/kde/rhel8-beta-kde.repo
3 - Setup EPEL configs
rpm -Uvh https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/epel-release-latest-8.noarch.rpm
4 - Enable Stream-PowerTools, and disable non-stream repos
dnf config-manager --enable Stream-PowerTools
dnf config-manager --disable AppStream
dnf config-manager --disable BaseOS
dnf config-manager --disable extras
5 - Install KDE Plasma Desktop
dnf group install kde-desktop
(Optional) dnf group install kde-media
(Optional) dnf group install kde-apps
6 - If installed from GNOME, reload gdm
systemctl reload gdm
7 - If installed from minimal install, setup graphical boot
systemctl set-default graphical.target
systemctl enable sddm -f

Give it a try, and let me know of any bugs.
Thank You
Troy Dawson