[CentOS-devel] CentOS Stream 8.2 release

Phil Perry

pperry at elrepo.org
Wed May 13 09:22:21 UTC 2020

On 13/05/2020 08:46, Andy Hall wrote:
> If CentOS Stream is "upstream" of RedHat then how can RH 8.2 be
> released when Stream is still on 8.1.1911 ?
>
> Have I misunderstood the release model ?
>
> Thanks.

I view CentOS Stream as a public RHEL beta, something that has not
previously existed for point releases.

So being a public beta, CentOS Stream (8.1.x) has to come before the
main release of RHEL 8.2.

By this analogy, the next release of CentOS Stream (8.2.x) will be the
rolling beta for RHEL 8.3.

IMHO, the issue here is timing, with RH making point releases to RHEL8
every 6 months, and CentOS taking 10+ weeks to get their release done,
that doesn't leave much time for any meaningful input into CentOS Stream
(or rather the next RHEL point release), as I'd expect RH to be (close
to) closing the window on the next RHEL release. What it does do is
allow Red Hat to perform some (relatively) widespread beta testing of
certain components for the next RHEL release.