[CentOS-devel] Is this the right channel to address the board?

Leigh Griffin

lgriffin at redhat.com
Thu May 21 11:16:23 UTC 2020

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 8:03 AM Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:

> Circling back on this, our Board discussion last week was fruitful
> toward solving this.
>
> We'd like to use git.centos.org as an issue tracker for interacting with
> the Board and for tracking our various efforts. We're moving from
> largely manual processes, which we've been creating since the addition
> of CentOS Stream made it necessary to re-consider CentOS as a
> contributor project in need of active, visible leaders.
>
> What is the next step? I'm ready to build out the repo, figure out what
> different personas need, and so on.

Is the intention here we just log an issue and it becomes a conversation
topic? That's my interpretation of this, if that's the case, we just need
the actual repo created and it works organically from there.

> [...]
> >
> >         There are a number of people who care about CentOS as a project,
> >         let's
> >         call them "project stakeholders". They all wish to engage with
> the
> >         project leadership for guidance and approval around various
> efforts.
> >
> >         Can we use this thread to define those stakeholder personas,
> >         what kinds
> >         of things/ways they need to engage with the Board, and how we
> >         can make
> >         that happen?`
> >

> >     The CPE team is one such persona who need to engage with the Board
> >     for key decisions and info sharing on technical projects we are
> >     undertaking that might impact CentOS as a whole. We also want a 2
> >     way conversation on requirements and needs that the Board, on behalf
> >     of the Community, may wish for us to undertake e.g. service
> >     creation/ modification. Actions here might impact the Community from
> >     a technical or user interaction perspective so a public tracker is
> >     key to allow transparency into the conversations.
> >

> >         I have a feeling there are some folks here experienced with
> helping
> >         define functional requirements and user personas, you are hereby
> >         invited
> >         to help this discussion move forward.
> >

> >     My entire professional background is in this area,  I'm happy to
> >     help where my time will allow. I'm also happy to offer the services
> >     of our Product Owner Aoife Moloney to help capture this who also
> >     works in this manner day in day out.
> >

> > +1, I'm more than happy to work out how best to engage with the CentOS
> > Board from the CPE team side, with the board :) And any tooling/methods
> > we identify as having potential success can also be scaled to allow for
> > the wider project stakeholder groups to engage in this manner also &
> > happy to use this thread as suggested for working this out with everyone
> > collectively.
> >
> >  From the CPE side, we are a stakeholder to the CentOS Project and are
> > happy to file requests/issues through a public tracker as mentioned
> > above. If you opt to track through issues.redhat.com
> > <http://issues.redhat.com>, or pagure.io <http://pagure.io>, creating
> > labels to identify types of tickets will help the review process if the
> > board only meets monthly.
> > You could honestly have labels for anything - hardware request, travel,
> > new feature approval, etc. Continue to use the devel list for open
> > discussion and feedback and by adding the link to your issue tracker in
> > your email signature, there will be easy and quick access for people to
> > file their request directly from conversational engagement on the email
> > thread to a formal trackable request to the board to action.
> >
> > I have ideas and am happy to help here, it benefits us all to have this
> > clarity. So lets decide what tool first - does the board have a
> > preference? You will be the ones using it! :)

Engineering Manager

Red Hat Waterford <https://www.redhat.com/>

Communications House

Cork Road, Waterford City