[CentOS-devel] CentOS 8 on AWS

Greg Bailey

gbailey at lxpro.com
Mon May 25 13:48:19 UTC 2020

On 5/25/20 5:02 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> the main goal from an infra standpoint for anyone should really be to
> unify their stack, in AWS or GCP or AZure or on-prem openstack / self
> managed etc  and we've largley optimised for that. the Monthly cloud
> images should be the unified piece here, for folks not wanting to build
> themselves.
>
> the market place piece is a longer conversation, were talking to aws
> later this week about that. lets see what progress we can make there.

Is there any possibility of having AWS images published both as AMIs
*and* in the AWS Marketplace?  Similar to what was done for CentOS 7
[1], and what's being done for Fedora [2] ?

I can see where Marketplace might be attractive for some, but it carries
a bit of baggage with it due to the subscription model that it imposes
-- even if the subscription charge is $0 as would presumably be the case
for CentOS.  Perhaps Marketplace has become easier to work with in
recent years, but I know I've run into issues due to how Marketplaces
uses product codes and implements restrictions as to what can be done
with volumes and snapshots (for those who might want to modify the issue
and create modified AMIs). [3]

[1] https://wiki.centos.org/Cloud/AWS
[2] https://alt.fedoraproject.org/cloud/
[3]