[CentOS-devel] [EPEL-devel] Re: Handling packages retired in epel but not yet available in CentOS?

Michel Alexandre Salim

michel at michel-slm.name
Thu May 14 23:23:10 UTC 2020

On 5/14/20 1:03 PM, Troy Dawson wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 12:32 PM Michel Alexandre Salim
> <michel at michel-slm.name> wrote:

>> https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/zstd/history/dead.package?identifier=epel8
>>
>> The package is only in BaseOS in 8.2 though, and CentOS 8.2 is not out
>> -- the only repo that has it now is 8-stream:
>>
>> https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/centos/8-stream/BaseOS/x86_64/os/Packages/
>>
>> 8.1.1911 does not have the package:
>> https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/centos/8.1.1911/BaseOS/x86_64/os/Packages/
>>

> There is the EPEL archives.
> This is fairly recent, but we did a snapshot of 8.1 a bit before 8.2 came out.
> We plan on doing this for each minor release (7 and 8).
> Fedora Archives are not on all the mirrors, so it might be a little
> slower, depending on where you get it from, but at least it's there.
> https://archives.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/epel/8.1/

Oh, that's an option, thanks. the archives site tends not to be mirrored
as widely though, so if we want to use it we might end up mirroring it
internally.

Per what Paul said (using Stream) I suppose we could also enable the
Stream repo but set it at a lower priority so we only use packages that
are not found elsewhere.

Thanks,

--
Michel Alexandre Salim