[CentOS-devel] How CentOS 7 Vagrant images are built

Thu May 14 06:20:06 UTC 2020
Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org>

On 14/05/2020 03:12, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 10:14:46PM +0200, Laurențiu Păncescu wrote:
> ...snip...
>>
>> It's more difficult with centos/8. We have a working kickstart, but the CBS
>> builders don't run CentOS 8 as far as I know, and we can't build them via
>> ci.c.o. Additionally, Image Factory is no longer maintained, and even when
>
> Huh, thats news to me. Fedora still uses ImageFactory. Upstream is
> somewhat active. The Fedora main maintainer is not very, but I have been
> doing builds when needed.
>
> If there's anything I can do to assist let me know...
>
> kevin

Just to add that all CentOS 8 and Stream artifacts like (including) the
Vagrant image found at https://cloud.centos.org/centos/8/x86_64/images/
are built through imagefactory so also still in use at the CentOS
builders side  :)

Used kickstart file[s] is/are (like everything for 8 and Stream)
available on git.centos.org :
-
https://git.centos.org/centos/kickstarts/blob/master/f/CentOS-8-x86_64-Vagrant.ks
-
https://git.centos.org/centos/kickstarts/blob/master/f/CentOS-8-Stream-x86_64-Vagrant.ks

Clarification eventually needed : those are built through
https://koji.mbox.centos.org/koji/, so the dedicated koji instance for
distro, and distro artifacts like iso images, cloud images, etc..

Laurentiu was probably mentioning where Vagrant images are produced for
6 and 7, so different koji instance ( https://cbs.centos.org ) , which
is accessible for Community contributors/SIGs members.

 @Laurentiu: would that help if we'd have a c8 image-builder in
cbs.centos.org env ? I think Brian wanted to ensure that all released
content for 8/stream would be built from the other koji.mbox setup, but
at least you'd be able to test the build/image through ci before
eventually then submitting a PR for the 8 kickstart (if/when needed) ?
Normally you can still build the 6/7 vagrant images like before.

My view on the problem is more about what to do when it's built/tested :
I saw you asking multiple times Johnny to have those released but
nothing done and not follow-up, is that the issue ?

Just dropping the .box files to make those appearing on cloud.centos.org
(at least for 6 and 7) is something I can help with .. but no idea about
how is the image-index file generated (and if that's even needed for
vagrant, but don't think so). Problem is more about if I add those and
then Johnny deletes those because he's pushing from another setup, that
wouldn't work :)

And also : nobody from the CPE team has access to upstream
atlas/hashicorp vagrant setup to update info when new box is released,
so that would also be a problem for people trying to consume those
updated images if not declared at https://app.vagrantup.com/centos

--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 17F3B7A1 | twitter: @arrfab