[CentOS-devel] CentOS 8 on AWS

Sun May 24 14:40:05 UTC 2020
Akshay Kumar <akshayk at gmail.com>

Why bother with any of this. You should build your own images and this is
exactly what Image Builder does using lorax/andconda. You can use the same
templates to create consistent images across AWS, GCP, Azure and more.

For AWS you might need a couple of RPMs - ec2-utils and ec2-net-utils and
maybe another if you want to use instance connect. Just get the src RPMs
from an Amazon Linux 2 image, rebuild the RPMS for CentOS8. You don't even
need to do any blueprint configs just modify the kickstart templates and
you are good to go.

Here's one I put together for a base AMI. Idiomatic and much cleaner that
packer. You can build both arm64 and x86_64.

https://gist.github.com/ak2196/53ee89c039f41b3701ba04e89aa72068

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html/composing_a_customized_rhel_system_image/composer-description_composing-a-customized-rhel-system-image