[CentOS-devel] CentOS 8.3 Release date

Simon Matter

simon.matter at invoca.ch
Thu Nov 12 13:41:04 UTC 2020

> On 11/12/20 4:23 AM, Sandro Bonazzola wrote:
>>

>> Il giorno mer 11 nov 2020 alle ore 15:31 Johnny Hughes
>> <johnny at centos.org <mailto:johnny at centos.org>> ha scritto:
>>
>>     On 11/9/20 11:39 PM, Satish Patel wrote:
>>     > Folks,
>>     >
>>     > Redhat has released RHEL 8.3 for the general public last week so
>>     > curious when CentOS 8.3 is coming out for the public?
>>     >

>>     As always .. it will come out when it is done.
>>
>>     We have no idea how long that will take until we finish it .. them
>> we'll
>>     know.
>>

>> Thanks for your hard work on this.
>> Just a question on the technical side: weren't CentOS 8.3 packages
>> already built once for CentOS Stream in the past?
>> It should reduce the amount of packages to be rebuilt right?
>
> For most of them, yes.  Some are new.  Should be faster than in the past.

While we are at it, I was always wondering about reproducible builds. From
what I understand RHEL is not reproducible, otherwise most packages of
CentOS should be identical with the RedHat packages, right?

Wouldn't it be a security improvement if RHEL builds were 100%
reproducible? Or do I miss something here?

Regards,
Simon