[CentOS-devel] Container Images & Docker Hub Rate Limiting

Fabian Arrotin

arrfab at centos.org
Tue Nov 17 22:01:31 UTC 2020

On 17/11/2020 21:54, Stephen Benjamin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> At the beginning of November, Docker instituted rate limiting on
> Docker Hub.  Some builds happening in Quay are now hitting this
> limit[1], including those using the CentOS base images.
>
> Docker has a program to remove the rate limiting for open source
> projects[2]. Has anyone applied yet on behalf of the CentOS project?
> If not, who would be the right person to contact?

I don't think it was done but then wondering about moving to Quay.io ?
IIRC Brian Stinson recently said that he had that on his Todo (see
https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issue/77)

> We did notice that CentOS has its own registry[3], but it's currently
> returning 502 Bad Gateway when you hit the index page. However
> registry.centos.org/centos/centos:8 works -- is that a stable place
> for us to get the latest CentOS container images?

Worth mentioning here that the ContainerPipeline team "melted like ice
under sun" so only one remaining user is active and maintaining that
infra : Bama Charan Kundu <bkundu at redhat.com>
That setup/environment was moved recently to its own infra, so
registry.centos.org (and pipeline behind) isn't maintained by CentOS
Infra (nor even Project) (worth clarifying)

> Alternatively, would it be possible to get official builds for CentOS
> published to quay?

Yes, see above

--
Fabian Arrotin