[CentOS-devel] CentOS 8.3 Release date

Nico Kadel-Garcia

nkadel at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 10:51:36 UTC 2020

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 5:24 AM Sandro Bonazzola <sbonazzo at redhat.com>
wrote:

> Il giorno mer 11 nov 2020 alle ore 15:31 Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>
> ha scritto:
>
>> On 11/9/20 11:39 PM, Satish Patel wrote:
>> > Folks,
>> >
>> > Redhat has released RHEL 8.3 for the general public last week so
>> > curious when CentOS 8.3 is coming out for the public?
>> >

>> As always .. it will come out when it is done.
>>
>> We have no idea how long that will take until we finish it .. them we'll
>> know.
>>

> Thanks for your hard work on this.
> Just a question on the technical side: weren't CentOS 8.3 packages already
> built once for CentOS Stream in the past?
> It should reduce the amount of packages to be rebuilt right?

Looking at it, yes. Testing all of them together, especially packages that
were only just published for RHEL 8.3 and resolving any conflicts or
teasing out RHEL trademarks or artwork for CentOS use cna take extra work.
And Red Hat has, on a number of occasions, kept necessary build tools for
published software internal and not included it in their published software
layout, which CentOS has had to resolve. (quota-devel for building Samba on
CentOS 8 was my personal favorite, since "quota" was available in the
BaseOS but the compile time requirement quota-devel was specifically
excluded in the OS distribution, and only later published in a 'devel"
channel.

Working around that kind of chicanery takes time and extra effort. Also,
the use of "Modularity" has destabilized the upgrade dependency chains for
packages that *I* build personally, I can only imagine the fun and games
when upgrading hundreds of packages en masse.