[CentOS-devel] GitLab AMA Session Topic: Message Bus

Sun Nov 8 21:54:07 UTC 2020
Aoife Moloney <amoloney at redhat.com>

Hi Cent-onians?

Ive sent this week's GitLab AMA topic to Fedora's devel-announce list,
but in case there are those of you who are interested in the GitLab
discussion here too, I would like to share it on your email list also.
This week's topic from the GitLab AMA session on September 10th is on
Message Bus. As always, here are some links to the resources I have
been pulling content from as well:
* Questions and Answers hackmd link https://hackmd.io/RW8HahOeR7OJPON1dwuo3w
* Chat log from session
https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting-1/2020-09-10/ama_session_with_gitlab.2020-09-10-13.31.log.html
* AMA Blog post
https://communityblog.fedoraproject.org/gitlab-ama-follow-up/#more-9346
* Here is this email in hackmd if you wish to view it there:
https://hackmd.io/tfOqCXNEQtqsGNLAEfZ2zg?view

## Topic: Message Bus
- Question: Fedora uses a message bus to integrate different parts of
its infrastructure. How should we onboard GitLab into this message
bus?
    - Answer: Currently we would need to have a service that proxies
GitLab’s events to fedora-messaging something similar to
github2fedmsg.
There were some concerns raised about the order of events sent by
GitLab’s webhooks, these will need to be looked after during a Proof
of Concept stage.
- Question: How would git push over http work with GitLab? (assuming
gitlab does not have Fedora's password since they are stored in FAS)
    - Answer: GitLab has a good number of authentication options and
integrations where the "best" solution usually depends on a team's
specific needs and use case. As such,  the best way to know and meet
Fedora's needs and use cases is to have a conversation and discuss the
options with GitLab. How does git push over HTTP work with FAS right
now, and what git push (over HTTP) auth requirements/flow would you
like to have for your projects in GitLab?

These are the only two questions and answers I could gather relating
to message bus from the AMA question sheet, however I know there was a
lot of discussion regarding this topic during the AMA session itself,
so if you would like to resume/kick off  that conversation again,
please feel free to use this email to discuss.

A personal note and for full transparency: the weeks seem to be
passing in the blink of an eye lately, I assume it's because I'm
busy(?) but it might be just the weird 2020 vibe the world is on
nowadays. I really don't know. Whatever the reason, there has been no
further discussion with GitLab since early October-ish, but we will be
returning to the conversation of how this migration could be
technically possible soon, so sincerely thank you all again for
engaging with us/me here as I found reading the discussion that came
from the Fedora devel list on permission and access much easier to
follow and have been taking notes on expectations to use that feedback
in conversations with GitLab when we pick the discussion back up.

I hope you all had a good weekend and will talk to you all next week
when the topic of Namespace & Issue Tracking is sent!

Kindest regards,
Aoife
--
Aoife Moloney