[CentOS-devel] GitLab AMA Topic Follow Up: Namespace & Issue Tracking

Mon Nov 23 10:24:26 UTC 2020
Aoife Moloney <amoloney at redhat.com>

Hi everyone,

I've posted this to devel-announce at lists.fedoraproject.org but I will
always post this over here too in case there are interested people on
this mailing list that may not see it on the Fedora one. Thanks again
for your involvement in the GitLab AMA session on IRC in September.
This email discussion thread is on Namespace & Issue Tracking. I have
pulled the relevant questions and answers from the original hackmd doc
into one email and if you would like to discuss this topic
specifically, here might be a good place to do so so your
conversations don't go down a 'rabbit hole' :)

Here are some links to resources as well:
* Questions and Answers hackmd link https://hackmd.io/RW8HahOeR7OJPON1dwuo3w
* Chat log from session
https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting-1/2020-09-10/ama_session_with_gitlab.2020-09-10-13.31.log.html
* AMA Blog post
https://communityblog.fedoraproject.org/gitlab-ama-follow-up/#more-9346
* Here is this email in hackmd if you wish to view it there:
https://hackmd.io/oZrDwbSeSWO-l_X65A1ndg?view

## Namespace & Issue Tracking
- Question: Currently dist-git in Fedora has several namespaces: rpms,
modules, containers, tests... All namespaces but the ``tests``
namespace have their issue tracker in bugzilla. Would this work in
gitlab? Can we selectively enable/disable issue tracking per namespace
for the entire instance? (ie: w/o giving the possibility to ``owner``
or ``maintainer`` to toggle that setting.)
    - Answer: It may need to be checked again, but it appears you can
turn on/off the issue tracker at the project level.

- Question: Currently dist-git in Fedora has several namespaces: rpms,
modules, containers, tests... All namespaces but the ``tests``
namespace have their issue tracker in bugzilla. Would this work in
gitlab? Can we selectively enable/disable issue tracking per namespace
for the entire instance? (ie: w/o giving the possibility to ``owner``
or ``maintainer`` to toggle that setting.)
    - Answer: You can turn the GitLab issue tracker on and off by
project. See https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/settings/#sharing-and-permissions
Namespaces map to “group” in GitLab. Here’s more info about them:
https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/api/namespaces.html

- Question: Fedora, as far as I understand, still plan on using
bugzilla as issue tracker. Currently default assignee and the CC are
gathered using the ``main admin`` (ie: the ``owner`` for GitLab iiuc),
the other maintainers (who did not ``unwatch issues`` in the project -
mechanism for them to opt-out of being in the CC list) and the people
having enabled ``Issue watching`` for the project (mechanism for them
to opt-in into being in the CC list). Would this work in a GitLab
world?
    - Answer: There are a number of options related to that.  For one,
users can control their notifications globally and by name space in a
fine grained way (see GitLab Notification Emails).

- Question: Fedora is part of GitLab’s Open Source program and we have
a migration tracker issue that we are using to keep track of feature
requests, bugs, etc that are important to Fedora. The Fedora migration
team has been working with us at GitLab to maintain that and community
members can add relevant issues there so we can track them. It’s also
helpful for our product managers to hear about why particular issues
are important for the Fedora use case, and to have upvotes, so doing
that will help! Where can you submit requests/bugs/report issues?
    - Answer:
    Fedora Migration Tracker:
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab/-/issues/217350
    Feature template:
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab/-/issues/new?issuable_template=Feature%20proposal
    Bug template:
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab/-/issues/new?issuable_template=Bug

Please do review the original questions doc in case I have missed any
that relate to namespace and issue tracking and thank you again for
your engagement with these emails! The next email topic will be on
'Branches'.

Have a good week!
Aoife

--