[CentOS-devel] EPEL-6 is End of Life in 2020-11

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Mon Oct 5 20:09:49 UTC 2020

On 10/5/20 2:18 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 at 15:13, BC <centoslistmail at gmail.com
> <mailto:centoslistmail at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 11:05 AM Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org
>     <mailto:johnny at centos.org>> wrote:
>     >
>     > On 9/4/20 5:12 PM, Troy Dawson wrote:
>     > > EPEL 6 is End Of Life (EOL) on November 2020.
>     > > EPEL 6 will be moved to archives in December 2020.
>     > >
>     > > Plan ahead now.
>     > >
>     >
>     > Same holds true for CentOS Linux 6 in general.
>
>     A couple of questions regarding this process.
>
>     1) Will mirrorlist be updated to point to the vault (centos) or
>     archive (EPEL)? I notice that epel-5 seems to work in mirrorlist, but
>     not the centos repos.
>

> No idea if CentOS does that. I think when they end of life things, they
> END OF LIFE THINGS.

Nope (for CentOS) .. EOL items no longer get any updates .. they are
therefore insecure.  We will not be creating any links that
automatically point to any repos that are End Of Life and Insecure.

You can use anything you want (insecure or not) from vault.centos.org on
your own.  We obviously recommend that you do not do that.

Red Hat does sell EUS versions of RHEL6.  If you have mission critical
loads that must use the EL6 codebase .. after EOL, that is what the
Extended Life RHEL 6 is all about.  There will be none of that for
CentOS Linux (just like all other version EOL versions of CentOS Linux)

I mean, if you wanted, you could download CentOS-2.1 from the year 2003
and try to get it to install and use it.  It would not be the smartest
thing from a security standpoint.

<snip>