[CentOS-devel] repo_gpgcheck for centos repos?

Ken Dreyer

kdreyer at redhat.com
Wed Sep 9 15:00:50 UTC 2020

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 7:56 PM Brian Stinson <brian at bstinson.com> wrote:
> There's also the fact that we make a reasonable effort to keep the repodata
> signatures up to date, but every signature we make is done by hand. We put
> our focus on delivering the bits, and delays on a repodata signature or two
> have been known to happen (I think I'm personally on top of the leaderboard
> for pushing repos before signatures by mistake, so apologies here inline for
> that).

Yeah, when we use this feature for publishing on download.ceph.com,
we've found two problems:

> There's also the fact that we make a reasonable effort to keep the repodata
> signatures up to date, but every signature we make is done by hand. We put
> our focus on delivering the bits, and delays on a repodata signature or two
> have been known to happen (I think I'm personally on top of the leaderboard
> for pushing repos before signatures by mistake, so apologies here inline for
> that).

Yeah, when we use this feature for download.ceph.com, we've found two problems:

1) In a perfect world, we would always publish the correct repomd.xml and
   corresponding .asc file at the exact same time. In reality, this is
   difficult to perfectly accomplish this 100% of the time. The goal of
   "keeping the GPG material and signing process secure" is at odds with
   "overall ease of use".

2) When it comes to volunteer-operated mirrors, all bets are off regarding
   consistent updates. Mirrors update files at different times. If a CentOS
   mirror syncs an updated repomd.xml but not the corresponding .asc file,
   users hit problems.

As far as ease-of-use goes, Fedora and Red Hat use the Robosignatory
project to make signing a bit more repeatable and automated, however
this issue for signing repomd.xml has been open for a long time:
https://pagure.io/robosignatory/issue/14

As far as the overall feature goes as implemented in DNF and Yum,
https://pagure.io/releng/issue/133 has some interesting reading on
this subject. Quoting from Colin Walters' comment there:

> having both repomd.xml and repomd.xml.asc means two files, which introduces
> another race. Debian went through the same issue and recently changed to
> doing signatures inline:
> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~cjwatson/blog/no-more-hash-sum-mismatch-errors.html

Colin's talking about the fact that modern versions of Apt load an
"InRelease" file that contains both the metadata and the inline GPG
signature, reducing the room for errors.

I'd rather see some kind of inline signature support in DNF (and
MirrorManager) than see a lot of "howto" blogs talking about ignoring
CentOS GPG errors because the current implementation is racy and
confusing.