[CentOS-devel] Centos 8.x, dlm Package unavailable

Josh Boyer

jwboyer at redhat.com
Wed Sep 16 12:26:03 UTC 2020

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 8:10 AM Gianluca Cecchi
<gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 1:41 PM Josh Boyer <jwboyer at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>>

>> > Just trying to piece this all together so I can explain to my peers the business and community decisions going on here.
>> >
>> > Currently someone that set up a cluster with gfs2 in 7 can't do the same thing in 8 due to the dlm package missing. That is a loss of functionality and seems to indicate it's a bug or intentional reduction in feature set.
>>
>> It's a bug in CentOS 7 that was kept unfixed.  The feature set from
>> RHEL 7 and RHEL 8 remains consistent, with it only being available in
>> the Resilient Storage AddOn.
>>
>> josh
>>

> Hi Josh,
> you are talking about RHEL consistency, but the point is CentOS "feature set" passing from 7 to 8 that has changed.
> As I see it:
> In RH EL 7 there was a dedicated group (as a paid add-on) for Resilient storage, providing lvm2-cluster, gfs2, ecc.
> In CentOS 7 that rpm recompiled yum group was made available to the community, so that at time of 7.2 for example I could transparently execute on my CentOS system:

Yes.  I explained why this happened in the original reply.

> I think it was made for an explicit decision, not by mistake. One of the reasons could be the typical bi-directional contribution model, useful for both parts, the community and Red Hat to improve their product offering.

I can't comment on the CentOS side directly, but I do know that the
collaboration between RHEL and CentOS was still in its early stages
around that time and often there were surprises to both groups.  I
stand by my guess that it was a mistake to begin with, and that the
choice to leave it there after the fact was the explicit decision.
That makes logical sense given the timeframe, and I believe the CentOS
project would want to minimize user disruption.  Regardless, it is
something we have now and won't change in 7.

> In RH EL 8 the group remains a paid add-on, so it is indeed consistent:
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html/package_manifest/resilient-storage-addon

Indeed.  A major release also brings with it the opportunity to
realign the two distributions, which is what has happened here.

> But CentOS project (and/or) Red Hat decided not to provide its recompiled packages to the community.

Brian has explained the focus for AddOns and how they will center
around CentOS Stream in a previous email.  They will be available
there as the team bootstraps more of the AddOn content.  I would
venture that you'd most likely be able to use them directly on top of
CentOS Linux as well, if your use cases can tolerate that.

Another alternative is to create a CentOS SIG that offers these packages up.

josh