[CentOS-devel] Centos 8.x, dlm Package unavailable

Nico Kadel-Garcia

nkadel at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 06:25:34 UTC 2020

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 9:52 AM Leon Fauster via CentOS-devel
<centos-devel at centos.org> wrote:

> Am 17.09.20 um 15:24 schrieb Nico Kadel-Garcia:
> > On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 11:03 AM Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> For the most part there is little in what is delivered onto first ftp.redhat.com and then git.centos.org about what packages are 'shipped' and 'not-shipped'. This means that these differences between CentOS and Red Hat releases have existed in previous CentOS releases for different packages. Usually by the time someone who had a Red Hat Enterprise Linux subscriptions found the discrepancy, the package had been shipped and was considered permanent in CentOS. My understanding that other than by email communication or a manual audit, the only items that give a clue that something is not shipped are modules which in their build state tell the Module Build System what packages are to be included in the compose and which ones are to be filtered out.
> >
> > It's very frustrating. "quota-devel" was my pet peeve, snce it's used
> > to build Samba with full doman controller features enabled. The
> > decisions to use these libraries for build dependencies inernal to Red
> > Hat, but not to publish them to subscrbiers or, now, to provide them
> > only in "Stream" is crazy making and will mess with library dependency
> > resolution when building packages which rely on those components.
>

> At least for quota-devel its found in
>

> dnf config-manager --enable Devel

I'm not saynkg it's not available now for CentOS. It wasn't available,
originally, and at last look RHEL does not publish the binary at all.
Before my subscription expired, I was firmly told that such packages
"weren't supported" and would not be published, even though they're
built automatically along with compiling the quota SRPM and are used
to build other packages internally.  The segregation of build
packjages into a private, internal repository is frankly one of my
notable dissappointments with RHEL 8.

> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/Devel/x86_64/os/Packages/
>
> check also
>
> https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2020-March/036644.html

Yes, I used to publish RPM building tools for "quota" along with my
Samba compilation suite. I gave up compiling Samba on RHEL directly
because of just such issues and am compelled to use CentOS 8 because
of it.