[CentOS-devel] Gitlab AMA: September 10th at 13:30 UTC on IRC

Fri Sep 4 15:39:49 UTC 2020
Aoife Moloney <amoloney at redhat.com>

Good Morning folks,

Thanks for starting the discussion Rich. Indeed, as you likely remember, a
little
while ago now, was announced the decision to move dist-git to a gitlab
instance.
This decision was the results of different factors which included a wish
for Red
Hat to have a consistent tooling and experience across the different
distribution
it works on or with, meaning: RHEL, CentOS-Stream, CentOS Linux and Fedora.

Since then, a number of technical requirements needed to use gitlab in
Fedora
and CentOS, were gathered and a ticket was opened at gitlab to track them
[1]
but up until now the progress for CentOS Linux has been fairly slow. This is
mostly due to a focus on the first two distributions in the list above.

However, in order to progress the evaluation of gitlab, we have organized an
"Ask Me Anything" (AMA) session with the gitlab folks on Thursday September
10th
2020, at 13:30 UTC on #fedora-meeting-1 on irc.freenode.net.
Re-using a pre-existing time slot that I have with the Fedora community,
for the
CPE Product Owner office hours, for convenience.
The idea is to have an open floor for anyone in both the communities to
discuss
with GitLab the technical merits that GitLab has, as well as the
requirements we,
the CentOS community, have.

In order for this session to be productive, we believe that it may be wise
start gathering questions to GitLab early on, so they can also look into
them
and prepare their answers (I'm sure we all prefer to have actual answers
rather
than: "hm, I don't know, let me check and I'll get back to you on this"). Of
course, we will still be able to ask question at the last minute or even
during
the session.
Gathering them as early as possible is just a way for GitLab to see what
interests us, who may be the right persons to attend this session and
overall to
make this hour as productive as possible.

So there are two ways for you to submit your questions to the GitLab folks
on a
potential deployment of GitLab as a front-end to our dist-git (ie:
src.fedoraproject.org):

- A public hackmd document:
https://hackmd.io/RW8HahOeR7OJPON1dwuo3w#
Underneath each questions you will also be able to vote (simply add a
the ``Votes:`` line), the most popular questions will be asked first.
Since this document is public, please be mindful of what previous people
entered.

- A discussion on forum.gitlab.com at:
https://forum.gitlab.com/t/fedora-migration-to-gitlab-ask-me-anything-ama-thursday-september-10-2020/41971

The questions that we will not have time for, or cant be answered during the
session, will be answered afterward. The AMA minutes will be sent in the
CPE
weekly mail, the hackmd will be updated and and summary published on the
CentOS
newsletter.

Looking forward to the discussion,

Aoife