[CentOS-devel] CentOS Stream Feature Request SIG Proposal

Matthew Miller

mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Apr 9 19:07:37 UTC 2021

On Fri, Apr 09, 2021 at 05:37:52PM +0100, Aoife Moloney wrote:
> The purpose of this SIG will be to serve as a gate for feature requests
> that are first developed in CentOS Stream from contributors who wish to
> request these features to be included in future RHEL releases and are then
> filed in bugzilla. The SIGs overall goal is to make sure that features
> which have been filed and have technical merit are triaged internally to
> the correct venue for further review and development. The SIG will take

This seems similar to one of the responsibilities of Fedora's "FESCo"
("Fedora Engineering Steering Committee") as part of our Change process.
(See https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/program_management/changes_policy/)

I think it'd be nice to share structure and concepts (if not outright
process) as much as possible in areas like this -- it avoids duplicating
work, makes it easier for people working in both projects, and can help
actual work move back and forth as appropriate.

I can imagine in some cases the correct venue for a feature will be : get
this upstream in Fedora first. Or maybe there will be some changes proposed
in Fedora where the answer will be the reverse. Either way, a shared
approach on either side would be nice.

Thus ends the not-bikeshedding part of this message. The bikeshedding part
is: I wonder if "SIG" is the right name / structure for this group? SIGs
generally are focused on more specific areas, right, and this is more broad.
So, where I'm going with this is... "CentOS Stream Feature Steering
Committee"?

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>