[CentOS-devel] Code of Conduct

Mon Apr 19 16:42:32 UTC 2021
Rich Bowen <rbowen at redhat.com>

You may have seen, a few days ago, that the Fedora project announced[1]
a new Code of Conduct for their community.

What you may not have known is that the CentOS project was involved in
the crafting of that Code, so that we could also use it here.

Yeah, I know, this is something we should have done a long time ago.
But, you know what they say about the best time to plant a tree. (The
best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is today.)

As we continue to work to make all aspects of the CentOS Project more
open and transparent, it is important that we create an open, welcoming
community where all people, from all backgrounds, feel safe in their
participation. This allows for a broader contributor pool, with more
ideas and more community ownership of the resulting outcomes.

And it's just the right thing to do.

It is our intent to take the text of the Fedora CoC, and replace
'Fedora' with 'CentOS' everywhere, and propose it here. There will, of
course, be other small changes to the text (Board vs Council, and so on)
but not to the details of the Code itself, and how we intend to address
reports. We're holding off on those edits so that our version doesn't
drift from theirs, during their 2 week comment period. (Ends April 26th.)

The document is derived from the Contributor Covenant, along with work
that has been ongoing in the Fedora project for some time. Note also
that the Contributor Covenant is also the source material for the CoC
used by the Linux kernel project.[2]

To that end, we encourage you to engage in the discussion around the
Fedora CoC, because any changes made there will influence what we end up
with here. And we also encourage discussion on centos-devel[3], for
anything that you feel is specific to our community.

--Rich, on behalf of the CentOS Board of Directors

[1]
https://communityblog.fedoraproject.org/policy-proposal-new-code-of-conduct/

[2]
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=8a104f8b5867c682d994ffa7a74093c54469c11f