[CentOS-devel] [EXT] Re: Missing build dependencies in CentOS 8 repositories

Tue Apr 13 16:48:00 UTC 2021
R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com>

On Tue, 13 Apr 2021, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> On 4/13/21 10:41 AM, Carl George wrote:
> > The current state is described here:
> >
> > https://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/CentOS8/UnshippedPackages
> >
> > Stream Devel is empty intentionally because of the workflow that was
> > decided upon, which is described in that wiki page.

The use of the passive voice to conceal who is acting behind
the scenes is common.  We see it here.

The presence of a -devel package in no way requires that it be
installed.  This sentence is simply not true nor material

   "CentOS 8 Linux does the same in the spirit of its goal of
	being as compatible as possible with RHEL 8"

having been drafted, per the wiki edit history by Mr. George

It certainly was not the pracice or desire _before_ the Red
Hat 'takeover' of CentOS to cripple the build envirenment.
The 'extras' archive, for example, supplemented in missing
parts which a historically more 'Unix-like' working
environment contained.  Red Hat product management regularly
omits such for various reasons which suit Red Hat product
management purposes.

There is no sensible reason to follow a slow and unaccountable
leader off a cliff.  It takes express additional effort to
'block out' matter such as the '-devel' build-result from
signing and placement ont the mirrors.  If there were some
sensible concern to avoid inadvertently 'polluting' an
archive, it is no additional net effort rather to set up a
'side' archive to hold the blocked out '-devel' matter

> I would point out that sometimes, things change :) .. but even it they
> don't for Stream .. there is also a plan at some point to open up
> Packages for the koji builder.
>
> At the CentOS Board meeting tomorrow I am going to bring this issue up
> and see what the other board members think about the issue.  I'll make
> sure the results make the minutes.
>
> This is an issue that I care about as a CentOS Project Board of
> Directors member.

Good luck, Johnny

-- Russ herrold