[CentOS-devel] Making EPEL available in CBS for SIG builds

Wed Apr 28 21:15:22 UTC 2021
Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org>

On 28/04/2021 22:09, Davide Cavalca via CentOS-devel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Fabian suggested to post about https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issue/306
> so we can have a wider discussion around it. That ticket is
> specifically for the Hyperscale SIG, but I think this is something that
> could be generally useful.
>
> Within Hyperscale, we have a need to build a few packages that have
> dependencies coming from EPEL. While we could rebuild those
> dependencies within the SIG, that seems both wasteful and undesirable,
> as it would lead to needless deviation and potentially discourage folks
> from maintaining stuff in EPEL (where it has a chance to benefit the
> most people). So, our conclusion was that it would be great to just
> depend directly on EPEL and have it added to our build targets in CBS
> so we can build against it.
>
> One concern with doing this is that EPEL is kind of a moving target.
> This doesn't really apply to Hyperscale (as we track CentOS Stream),
> but it could be relevant for SIGs tracking CentOS Linux. Still, this
> would just be a non-default option for a SIG to add to their build
> tags, so I don't think this will be much of a problem in practice.
>
> From my chat with Fabian I understand this was raised in the past and
> there had been policy concerns around it. I'd love to get more context
> around this and see if we can get them addressed. Alternatively, if
> there are no concerns I'd be happy to entertain suggestions on how to
> actually do this :) Thanks!
>
> Cheers
> Davide

Just some links to previous threads about this :

https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2015-September/050896.html

https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2016-April/051678.html

https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2019-July/054614.html

So worth reading the three threads and then revisit it maybe ? :)

--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 17F3B7A1 | twitter: @arrfab