[CentOS-devel] Community Platform Engineering Team July Report

Tue Aug 10 13:14:31 UTC 2021
Aoife Moloney <amoloney at redhat.com>

Hi all,

Here is a quick snapshot of some of the work delivered by the
Community Platform Engineering team during the month of July.
If you have trouble reading this in email format, feel free to visit
the hackmd link where it is published
https://hackmd.io/@Ap8CkTlpSfmjb44UGV-kWA/rkW5c8W1t

## Fedora
### Infrastructure & Release Engineering
* Mass rebuild completed
* Additional power8 boxes installed in one of the datacentres

### Scheduled Q3 Projects
#### Datanomer/Datagrepper
**About** These apps are currently used  to retrieve historical
information about messages on the fedmsg bus and add them to a
postgresql database. Datanomer reads-in messages from the bus and
stores them in the database and Datagrepper exposes the messages in
the database via an API with different filtering capacities. We want
to upgrade these applications to use fedora-messaging and increase the
performance of the applications for users.
Work Tracker: https://github.com/orgs/fedora-infra/projects/10
**Delivered in July**
* Converted datanomer.consumer to use fedora-messaging
* Timescaledb is deployed in staging
* Vagrant setup created to help new contributors hack on datagrepper easier

#### Metrics for Apps on Openshift
**About** The project team will deliver on the installation of newest
Openshift in Fedora infra to be then configured with prometheus so
applications can be hooked into this service and can be monitored and
metricized through this tech stack for more comprehensive
understanding of app behaviour, performance and troubleshooting.
Work Tracker: https://pagure.io/fedora-infra/metrics-for-apps/boards/metrics-for-apps
**Delivered in July**
* Bootstrap Openshift Install
* Staging cluster of Openshift 4 up

#### DNF Counting Project
**About**: The DNF counting project will enhance the currently
existing program that captures a ‘countme’ value from computers
running Fedora weekly. There are multiple scripts running from a
server which parses the data into a csv file for graphing and
displaying trends that had been misbehaving a lot. This program gives
a good indication for how many computers use fedora so the project
team will work on improving these scripts and the program overall to
make it a more reliable and maintainable solution.
Work Tracker: https://pagure.io/mirrors-countme/boards/DNF%20Counting%20Initiative
**Delivered in July**:
* Zuul CI testing enabled
* Added F34 stats
* Improved the syncHttpLogs script so that it retries on failure and
has a timeout and no longer hangs quietly for long periods of time

## CentOS
### Infrastructure & Release Engineering
https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issues
* New Automotive SIG set up complete
* New Infra SIG member added - Mark O'Brien (IRC:mobrien)
### CentOS Linux
* Kmod secure boot signing is now in place
### CentOS Stream
#### Stream 8
* Legacy composeinfo is now being generated for every compose
* Kernel-4.18.0-326.el8 has been exported to git.centos.org and pushed
to the mirrors for CentOS Stream 8
#### Stream 9
* Daily composes now being generated for Stream 9
* Stream 9 composes now does ec2 and generic qcow2 images
* Tooling identified for package signing automation

Thank you for your continued support and collaboration with our team
across all communities, the work we achieve is not possible without
that, and I look forward to updating you all on what we have
accomplished at the end of August!

Kindest regards & on behalf of the CPE team,
Aoife
--

Aoife Moloney
Product Owner