[CentOS-devel] Proposal: Add pkg- prefix to package names in CentOS dist-git

Tue Aug 31 11:34:37 UTC 2021
Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat.com>

Gitlab cannot support an undocumented set of Git repository names.
Currently, this list appears to contain at least these names:

      badges
      blame
      blob
      builds
      commits
      create
      create_dir
      edit
      files
      find_file
      new
      preview
      raw
      refs
      tree
      update
      wikis

There may be additional constraints for:

      environments
      gitlab-lfs
      info

We have at least one collision today, tree.

One way to avoid these problems is to prefix all package names with
“pkg-”.  This way, future collisions become extremely unlikely, at the
cost of a one-time large rename.

The alternative would be to main an exception mechanism for colliding
package names such as “tree”.  This has been the current approach, but
as far as I can tell, it is not working.

Implementing this change depends on the completion of the package
removal process because it does not appear worthwhile to rename packages
which no longer exist in the distribution.

Thanks,
Florian