[CentOS-devel] subversion / CS8 update / status of workflow

Thu Aug 5 00:07:31 UTC 2021
Carl George <carl at redhat.com>

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.  This is a mistake on the
CentOS side.  I verified that we should have this module build in both
c8 and c8s.  I've tagged the c8 module build for the c8s compose and
it will be included in the next compose.

I'll be blunt and say that the process for stream 8 is not mature.
There are glitches like this.  It's all a byproduct of bolting on the
Stream workflows after the RHEL8 workflows were already established.
For Stream 9 the workflows are the RHEL workflows, and the RHEL
maintainers will be directly responsible for their packages.  Stream 8
is still technically a rebuild, it's just a rebuild of 8.X+1 content
instead of 8.X.  The basic process for Stream 8 works something like
this.

- RHEL maintainer creates an internal build
- Internal build passes gating tests
- RHEL maintainer attaches build to errata
- Sources exported to c8s branch on git.centos.org
- CentOS maintainer rebuilds the sources
- CentOS maintainer generates new compose and runs t_functional test
suite against it
- CentOS maintainer publishes the new compose containing the update

It's absolutely true that the end goal is for CentOS to become the
upstream of RHEL.  It's also true that it is a work in progress.