[CentOS-devel] freetype package missed in repo

Sat Aug 7 11:51:18 UTC 2021
Neal Gompa <ngompa13 at gmail.com>

On Sat, Aug 7, 2021 at 7:32 AM Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 6, 2021 at 9:30 AM Troy Dawson <tdawson at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 3:54 PM Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Because this kind of unwelcome stunt is brand new as best I can tell,
> >> never pulled in 25 years as far as I can find.
> >
> > I understand the feeling, but let's take a deep breath.
> >
> > RHEL hasn't been around for 25 years, so you know you are exaggerating.
>
> I did not say "RHEL". I said Red Hat. I date back to at least Red Hat
> 4.0, in 1996, so that's not exaggeration. That's precision. OK, 4.0
> was published in October, so 24 years and 10 months. I *think* I
> worked with a Red Hat 3.0.3, which was published in May, 1996, but I
> can't swear when that box got to my hands.
>
> > And yes, it has happened before, at least for Scientific Linux.
>
> I did not list Scientific Linux. They are not the reference
> distribution for Red Hat based distributions. Red Hat Linux was, and
> now RHEL is. I've worked extensively with Scientific Linux and am
> still active on the primary mailing list, which has quieted down a
> great deal since CERN decided not to try to publish a Scientific Linux
> 8.
>
> I'm not aware of any such instances for Scientific Linux since I first
> looked at it with Scientific Linux 5.
>
> > I definitely remember RHEL pushing some srpm's to their ftp area (back when they released srpm's), and then removing those srpm's.
>
> Name them, please, because I don't remember that *ever* happening in
> any Red Hat published operating system, whether Red Hat Linux or RHEL.
> It happens quite casually in EPEL, which has turned out to be a big
> problem for people who expect to be able to build a system from
> scratch on Thursday that matches what they built on Tuesday.
>
> > We (Scientific Linux) automatically pulled down those srpm's, built them, and pushed them out.
> > We (Scientific Linux) were contacted once by Red Hat, another time by our own users, letting us know that we'd released a package not in RHEL, and we removed it from our repos.
> > What happened?
> > Real people, and a real world happened.
> > Something happened in RHEL's workflow that was allowing srpms to be pushed.  This workflow was eventually fixed.
> > We (Scientific Linux) were not properly testing our packages before pushing them out.  This workflow was eventually fixed.
>
> I'm considerably less alarmed by Scientific Linux withdrawing an
> accidentally published package. Moreover that doesn't sound like a
> matching case, that sounds like a licensing issue where the package
> had to be altogether withdrawn. What package was that? An Oracle JDK
> package?
>
> I'm alarmed about a number of factors of CentOS 8 Stream. I previously
> expressed concern that CentOS 8 Stream, as a beta platform for RHEL,
> will have packages published which never make it to RHEL, which is
> confusing enough. But having them withdrawn from CentOS, because "it's
> [...]

While I wish this was how it is handled with Red Hat Enterprise Linux
(as it is in Fedora for technical reasons), Red Hat has yanked
packages from RHEL over the years, even in post-release updates.
Sometimes because they were accidentally pushed, sometimes because
there was no change (that is what freetype falls into), sometimes
because they broke things badly (first round of BootHole fixes were
like that, I think?), and so on. I'm aware of at least one case where
content was pushed out because it was too late and the documentation
was updated to indicate to not rely on it because it was going to
disappear in the next point release. Though it is rare, content does
disappear from RHEL across minor releases too.