[CentOS-devel] Proposal: Add pkg- prefix to package names in CentOS dist-git

Tue Aug 31 17:19:53 UTC 2021
Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat.com>

* Brian Stinson:

> There is a ton of tooling that relies on the repo naming that we have
> right now, and maintainers are actively working against the naming
> conventions we have. Itmakes sense to have a convention for the very
> very few packages affected here, but we shouldn't apply that to the
> entirety of dist-git just because of infra problems with a handful of
> package names.

The bulk rename would force everyone to get their tooling in order.  I'm
pretty sure it's the only way to fix the “tree” problem everywhere.
Otherwise, people say “I'll deal with that manually” or “we're just
going to add that special case”.  But in too many cases, neither
happens, and it just remains unfixed indefintely.  And never get out of
a bad state.

Thanks,
Florian