[CentOS-devel] De-branding in CentOS Stream 9

Sat Dec 4 16:58:37 UTC 2021
Phil Perry <pperry at elrepo.org>

On 23/11/2021 12:24, Alex Iribarren wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> While trying to run the CentOS functional tests on CS9[*], I noticed
> that several fail because of branding issues. For example,
> p_httpd/httpd_centos_brand_server_tokens.sh expects the server string to
> match `Apache.*\ (CentOS)`, when in fact the server line is:
>
> Server: Apache/2.4.51 (Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9) OpenSSL/3.0.0
>
> This got me thinking about how de-branding is supposed to work in CS9. I
> would guess the usual process would have to be reversed now, where Red
> Hat would remove the CentOS brand from CS9 packages and add the Red Hat
> brand for the RHEL 9.0 builds, but clearly this isn't happening yet. I
> guess this is an oversight?
>
> Cheers,
> Alex
>
> [*] I know, I know, but I have to run *something* before you guys
> release your own functional test suite for CS9!

In the absence of anyone from the project commenting, I'm wondering how
RHEL branding could have possibly got into a CentOS Stream release in
the first place?

The pictorial representation we are given is clear:

https://blog.centos.org/2021/12/introducing-centos-stream-9/

CentOS Stream is forked from Fedora Rawhide and exists upstream of any
RHEL release so it's hard to envisage how this could possibly have
happened. Surely now it is a case of RH removing CentOS branding for
their RHEL release if Stream is truly the upstream development of RHEL?

Wouldn't it be simpler to just call it RHEL Stream and do away with the
extra layer of obfuscation and confusion, as that's more what it looks
like (if it walks like a duck...)