[CentOS-devel] De-branding in CentOS Stream 9

Sun Dec 5 01:27:00 UTC 2021
Aleksandra Fedorova <alpha at bookwar.info>

On Sun, 5 Dec 2021, 01:26 Phil Perry, <pperry at elrepo.org> wrote:

> On 04/12/2021 23:30, Josh Boyer wrote:

> string to

> CS9. I
> Red
> Hat
> yet. I

> how

> any
> RHEL?

> the
> looks

> https://gitlab.com/redhat/centos-stream/rpms/httpd/-/blob/9d1c57410b67b48856876b6068b36bd3d1aa32d5/httpd.spec#L6

> as
> >
> > RHEL 9 Beta was built from CentOS Stream 9.  We had a soft opening
> > back in April, and RHEL 9 work has been flowing through CentOS Stream
> > 9.  It takes a while to create any RHEL release, Beta or otherwise, so
> > having 2 commits months apart reference 9 Beta isn't uncommon.

> > It is accurate.  Can you help me understand what is confusing?  It
> > shows CentOS Stream 9 being a continuously delivered OS, with RHEL
> > releases being derived from it.  In this case, work went into CentOS 9
> > Stream and a while later it showed up in 9 Beta.
> >

> The pictorial representation shows RHEL 9 Beta (or any RHEL release for
> that matter) being forks off the continuously delivered CentOS Stream.
> There is no feedback loop shown whereby once forked, anything that
> happens in RHEL 9 Beta can end up back in Stream, as Stream has moved on
> since then.
>
> As you say, this fork happened back in April. The httpd SPEC file shows
> a rebuild for RHEL 9 Beta on April 16th, and again on June 16th. How can
> the rebuild for RHEL 9 Beta on Jun 16th (or at least the changelog
> entry) that occurred 2 months _after_ the fork end up back in Stream?
> Their paths diverged (at least) 2 months previously, never to meet again
> according to the pictorial representation?

The confusion most likely comes from the misunderstanding, what does
branching event  represents for a RHEL point release.

The branching of a RHEL point release from CentOS Stream happens at the
_end_ of the development cycle for that RHEL release, not at the start of
it.

So development of RHEL 9 Beta started in April in CentOS Stream after RHEL
9 Alpha branch was created. Then for some time development of Beta
(including mass rebuilds) happened in the CentOS Stream because they were
the same thing, until Beta got ready to be freezed. Then Beta was branched
and freezed while CentOS Stream became the RHEL 9.0.0 development.

You can check also the diagram in

https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/centos-stream-is-continuous-delivery/

which shows the same concept but from a slightly different angle.

SPEC file changelog entries.