[CentOS-devel] First round of RHEL programs announced

Lamar Owen

lowen at pari.edu
Thu Feb 4 14:54:44 UTC 2021

On 2/3/21 1:44 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> RHL 7 was the first boxed pointless and the plan was to try and engage
> in doing just updates for 1,2,3 but that turned into too much sticking
> in the mud compared to other boxed sets which were pushing they were
> faster to market than Red Hat Linux. So 8 became its own thing and
> then 9, and there were howls of protest from various people who had
> built their deployments around X being a major and Y being smaller
> changes.. however the kernel and other software were now moving at a
> rate where 8 engineers could not keep up with all the packages needed
> at different levels.

It's hard to believe it was ever small enough that 8 engineers could
keep up at all; we're long past the days when a whole release fit on a
single 650MB CD.  You guys did a great job in those early days!

>     ...A fun fact about Pensacola is, if I
>     remember correctly, that it carried the MAJOR version of 2.1 through
>     seven update cycles; ...
>

> Yep.. the marketing reason was simple. The general IT manager rule for
> large deployments is NEVER deploy software which is 1.x or 2.0 . They
> will wait until 2.1 comes out. So like RHL 2.1, there was a RHEL-2.1
> and yep.. people installed it a LOT more than RHEL-3 because it wasn't 3.1
Oh, that is rich!  As I recall people were even happier when it hit x.2,
the 'real stable' release.  It threw everybody off-guard when RHL 7.3
released....    People are funny, no?  Explains RHL 6.2E, too.  I had
often wondered why RHEL 2.1, now I know.  Thanks for that!